How-To-Guide: Disaster Recovery Planning
Who do you call?
Fingers crossed this scenario never happens to you, but have you thought through the following questions:
- Who is responsible for getting your business systems back up and going?
- How do they recover your data?
- What data are they able to recover and what has to be rebuilt?
- How long will it take before you can operate again?
These are the questions that a Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP) answers, potentially saving your business days’ worth of lost revenue as a result of fire or flood, power or NBN outages, malicious attacks and server failure.
What is a Disaster Recovery Plan?
Designed to fit within your Business Continuity Planning, a DRP gives you a clear list of actions and responsibilities to rebuild some or all of your business systems by:
- Understanding company processes supported by IT
- Prioritising their protection and restoration based on the impact to the business
- Recommending and implementing strategies to protect these systems
- Documenting recovery roles and responsibilities including testing procedures
During this process, some of the recommendations might be:
- Creating redundancy in server and network infrastructure (physical and virtual environments) and the power supply that supports them
- Implementing and testing backups for applications and data
- Alternative or redundant internet and phone systems
- Replacement computers, phones and other important equipment
Why is a DRP important?
A business is a complex network of technology-based and manual systems and processes, some of which are more important than others. A properly constructed DRP is key to your business being able to overcome any interruption to these critical systems with as little impact as possible. Contact Eaglecrest Technologies today on 03 6343 1919 to find out how we can help you protect your business.
In Part 4 of our Microsoft Partner Summit release, we look at how you can automate your sales team by connecting Microsoft Dynamics with LinkedIn in Microsoft Relationship Sales!